Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities such as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and attempted rape.
- 94% of women who are raped experience post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms during the two weeks following the rape.
- 30% of women report PTSD symptoms 9 months after the rape.(10)
- 33% of women who are raped contemplate suicide.(11)
- 13% of women who are raped attempt suicide.(11)
- Approximately 70% of rape or sexual assault victims experience moderate to severe distress, a larger percentage than for any other violent crime.(12)
- People who have been sexually assaulted are more likely to use drugs than the general public.(11)
- 3.4 times more likely to use marijuana
- 6 times more likely to use cocaine
- 10 times more likely to use other major drugs
Sexual violence also affects victims’ relationships with their family, friends, and co-workers.(12)
- 38% of victims of sexual violence experience work or school problems, which can include significant problems with a boss, coworker, or peer
- 37% experience family/friend problems, including getting into arguments more frequently than before, not feeling able to trust their family/friends, or not feeling as close to them as before the crime.
- 84% of survivors who were victimized by an intimate partner experience professional or emotional issues, including moderate to severe distress, or increased problems at work or school.
- 79% of survivors who were victimized by a family member, close friend or acquaintance experience professional or emotional issues, including moderate to severe distress, or increased problems at work or school.
- 67% of survivors who were victimized by a stranger experience professional or emotional issues, including moderate to severe distress, or increased problems at work or school.
This video is an excellent demonstration of consent.
Consent- permission for something to happen or agreement to do something.
Millions of women in the United States have experienced rape.
As of 1998, an estimated 17.7 million American women had been victims of attempted or completed rape. (5)
Young women are especially at risk. 82% of all juvenile victims are female. 90% of adult rape victims are female. (6)
Females ages 16-19 are 4 times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault. (3) Women ages 18-24 who are college students are 3 times more likely than women in general to experience sexual violence. Females of the same age who are not enrolled in college are 4 times more likely. (7)
Millions of men in the United States have been victims of rape. About 3% of American men have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime. (5)
21% of TGQN (transgender, genderqueer, nonconforming) college students have been sexually assaulted, compared to 18% of non-TGQN females, and 4% of non-TGQN males.(17)